Fort St. James National Historic Site of Canada is a restored Hudson’s Bay Company post on the southern shores of Stuart Lake. It commemorates the region as a centre of trade and commerce in the 19th century fur trade. Originally established by Simon Fraser for the North West Company in 1806, this place displays the largest group of original wooden buildings representing the fur trade in Canada. The story revolves around the relationships and interactions between the fur traders and Native Peoples of the region, namely the Carrier First Nations.
The Hudson’s Bay cemetery is the oldest remnant of early fur trading in Fort St James. Not much is known about its history and content, or even when the first person was buried here. However, it tells of lives lived here in Fort St. James. The graveyard is located on Stuart Drive behind St. Patrick’s Anglican Church.