Economic Development involves activities and actions on the part of government, community-based organizations, businesses, industry groups and citizen volunteers to improve the sustainability and economic outlook of their community or region. The process of developing and maintaining suitable economic, social, environmental and political conditions, in which balanced growth may be realized, increasing the resilience and well-being of the community.
The District of Fort St. James employs an Economic Development Officer to work with a variety of partners, as both a facilitator and catalyst, to help create an environment in which communities can thrive, businesses can grow and people can prosper.
The District of Fort St. James offers a number of services through its Economic Development Department including:
- Grant writing assistance
- Small business development assistance
- Capacity building book loan program (books available for business start-up, non-profit development, community development, building relationships with first nations, etc).
- Partnership development
- Research on the local economy
- Information services
- Nominations of local projects and organizations to various awards
- Letters of support
Reports on various sectors of community relating to Economic Development and Quality of Life can be found below:
- 2014 Housing Background Report and Housing Strategy
- 2014 Fort St. James Master Trails Plan
- 2012 Investment Ready Community Profile
- 2011 Economic Development Report
- 2009 Growth Opportunities Marketing Plan
- 2009 Agricultural Action Plan
District of Fort St. James
Shauna Hesse, Grant Writer