The District of Fort St. James has activated its Emergency Operations Centre on March 18th, 2020 to ensure a planned and coordinated response, to support the local community by continued provision of essential services, and the interface with Northern Health. The Province of British Columbia declared a Provincial State of Emergency on March 18th, 2020.
We would like to assure the community that although at this time there are no locally confirmed cases, we are taking steps to keep our facilities safe for the community and our staff as we continue to provide services during this global pandemic. The public health risk will be continually reassessed as we continue to receive information from provincial and federal health organizations. Municipal facilities have been closed and events have been cancelled.
Changes to municipal operations to date:
• Municipal office closed March 18th, 2020.
• Fire Department Customer Service area closed to the public but may be reached at 250-996-8670; emergency response services maintained.
• All recreation facilities closed to the public, including racquetball and other community centre uses.
• Public Works yard closed to the public but may be reached at 250-996-7161; essential services being maintained.
• Municipal staff will be available at 250-996-8233 to respond to inquiries from members of the public.
• Council meetings, committee meetings and other meetings open to the public will be provided in a remote format by providing call-in information on the agenda.
• The due date for utilities (water, sewer and garbage) will be extended from April 30 to June 30th, 2020.
• Spring clean-up and Bike to Work Week have been postponed to the fall.
• Spring Break Youth Recreation Program, Day of Mourning, Pitch-in Week and Earth Day have been cancelled.
The District of Fort St. James recognizes that communication with residents is critical and has various channels that it will be continuing to use: > Social media channels, especially Facebook www.facebook.com/fortstjames > Updates to local news media
A COVID-19 web page with links to additional sites: http://fortstjames.ca/covid19/